Sep

Jake Locker

Posted by John Keatley / Filed under Celebrity

Jake Locker, UW quarterback.  Photo by John Keatley.

Jake Locker Portrait, photo by John Keatley

Many people think the animal on the dock with Jake is a husky because that is the UW mascot, but it is not a husky.  It’s a coyote.

When Jake Locker first started playing football for UW, I heard a story that sounded too wild to be true.  It was the kind of story that someone makes up, and as time goes on it becomes wilder and wilder, yet more and more true to the people who tell it.  The story goes like this.  While Jake was a junior at Ferndale High, a crazed coyote wandered onto campus.  Some students thought it was a dog from the neighborhood and tried to pet it.  As they approached the animal they realized something was wrong, but it was too late.  The coyote attacked the students and began a rampage throughout campus.  The entire school was frantic and people were scrambling to hide in the nearest classroom.  There were 5 students who were not lucky enough to find shelter in a classroom.  They were walking through the quad and walked right into the coyote.  They were trapped, with nowhere to go.  Several teachers were watching through the office window, and all they could do was scream.  The students slowly backed up until they were against a wall.  The coyote inched closer and closer, snarling and showing its teeth.

This is where the story gets a little confusing because I have heard several versions of what happened next, but I will stick to the version I heard from Jake.  Jake was in the gym during the attack, but he heard the screams of the students who were trapped in the quad.  Without hesitating, he took off his football pads, and ran out of the gym toward the sounds of the screaming.  As he entered the quad he walked directly up to the coyote with his arm held out in front of him holding his palm up as if motioning to stop.  He said a single word, although no one remembers what he said, and instantly the coyote relaxed and allowed Jake to pick it up.  He tucked the animal under his arm and walked out of the quad.  Since that day, the coyote has never left Jake’s side.

I wasn’t quite sure if I believed this story when I first heard it, but I decided to bring it up on the phone with Jake before our shoot.  I asked him if the story was true, and if he would bring the coyote with him for a few pictures.  He said that wouldn’t be a problem, and I was able to shoot a few frames with Jake and his coyote.

College football starts this weekend.  Go Huskies!!!  And go Jake Locker!!!  I’m a big fan.

I also posted a number of outtakes from this shoot on my Facebook page if you would like to see more.

Comments

I really like the balanced light in the first image. Very dramatic, very niice.

posted by Alex D. on 09.02.09 at 5:57 pm

so what was the “one word” that he said to calm the coyote??? Don’t leave us hangin’ :)

posted by Laurie on 09.02.09 at 8:09 pm

Is it to bold of me to ask your lighting set up for your studio portraits?

posted by Kevin on 09.03.09 at 12:23 am

Kevin,
Are you asking about the studio portrait of Jake specifically? I used a grid reflector for the key and umbrella for fill. I don’t use this same setup all the time in studio. It just depends on what I am going for.

posted by John Keatley on 09.03.09 at 9:18 am

Beautiful. Is that coyote missing its legs? And the last portrait in the Facebook album: very moving.

posted by Eric on 09.05.09 at 4:03 am

Quoting you:
“Many people think the animal on the dock with Jake is a husky because that is the UW mascot, but it is not a husky. It’s a coyote.”
“He said that wouldn’t be a problem, and I was able to shoot a few frames with Jake and his coyote.”

From this it sounds like you had some shots of Jake with a real coyote. But the photo does not show a real coyote…I thought it looked like a decoy the firs time I looked at this a few weeks ago, but while flipping through a Cabela’s and seeing this exact decoy for sale, I came back here and am certain that’s what it is. It’s “Yote” the coyote decoy made by EDGE. Here’s the link:

So, why write up a blog about a coyote and this story, and then post a picture of the guy with a decoy? This just seems strange and pointless. Was this a mistake and you meant to put up the photo of the real coyote and just mistakenly posted the setup shot? I hope so, because if you were trying to pass this decoy off as real, it would be best to photoshop out the pole that’s holding it up!

posted by Russ on 09.21.09 at 10:11 am

@ Russ – Comment 6
You just made my day!

posted by John Keatley on 09.21.09 at 5:26 pm

you crack me up. somehow, between blog posts I forget how funny you are and then, bam, you surprise me.

posted by TUffer on 09.29.09 at 8:07 am

so as i understand, he didnt realy say anything and just f*#*@$ up that coyote and made a decoy out of it. is that it?

posted by Doug on 09.30.09 at 7:49 pm

[...] kind and down to earth people I have photographed.  Now, I know what you are thinking.  Did he bring his pet coyote to the shoot this time?  No, he [...]

I don’t see the outtakes. It says “Content Not Found.”

posted by Fatima S. on 03.19.11 at 10:52 am