Sep

Jake Locker For Men’s Health

Posted by John Keatley / Filed under Celebrity, Tear Sheets, Videos

UW Husky quarterback Jake Locker in a lineman's helmet.  Photo by John Keatley.

If you haven’t seen the September 2010 issue of Men’s Health yet, pick it up now.  I have 6 full pages featuring my favorite football player, Jake Locker.  This was my second time working with Jake, and he is one of the most kind and down to earth people I have photographed.  Now, I know what you are thinking.  Did he bring his pet coyote to the shoot this time?  No, he didn’t.

So, what’s up with the helmet?  And as big as this kid is, how can there be a helmet that is too big for him?  I think it was a lineman’s helmet.  Before the shoot, I requested a ball and a helmet.  Someone from the university brought us one helmet that happened to be several sizes too big.  It wasn’t until we were shooting that I asked Jake to put it on, and we discovered it wasn’t the right size.  I’m totally fine with mistakes like that, though, because it turned out to be my favorite picture from the shoot.  Fun and unexpected.  Outtakes are the best!

For those of you who don’t know, Jake was recently ranked by ESPN as the number one college player in the country.  These rankings are subject to change, but he has a legitimate shot at the Heisman this year if things continue to go well for him.  As a Husky fan, I hope things go well!

I have been working with video a lot more lately.  Some behind the scenes, and also a few photo and video assignments, as well as video only.  I really like how this video turned out, and it should give you a little glimpse into how I work on an assignment like this.

Special thanks goes out to Men’s Health Photo Editor Mark Haddad for this assignment.  I would also like to mention Affix Music which is a great resource for licensing music for slideshows, video’s etc.  Amazing customer service!  They are in the process of rolling out some new license options which will be even more specific in addressing the needs to photographers working with video.

Twitter Updates – Follow John’s Twitter feed.
RSS Subscription
– Subscribe to John Keatley Blog via RSS in a reader.
Email Updates – Sign up for email updates.

Comments

Love him!

posted by Carly on 09.01.10 at 12:59 pm

I wish I was a girl so I could marry Jake Locker.

posted by Blake Sinclair on 09.01.10 at 1:40 pm

Great shots man, I too like the over sized helmet pic the most. I also really like the song you chose for the video. Who is the artist and what is the name of the song if you don’t mind me asking?
Keep up the great shots! Hope to see more of your work.

posted by Chris Bowen on 09.01.10 at 7:24 pm

Some great photos, and I love behind the scenes videos. One thing I would like to see more of, though, is some of the subject interaction. How you illicit certain things from a subject. I know that this process differs from photographer to photgrapher and is very much based on your own personality. But some insight into that aspect of it would be great

posted by Dennis Pike on 09.02.10 at 4:40 am

John, great shots, nice video. Terrific subject, no doubt. One question: why the white jersey instead of purple?
Thanks.

posted by Gary Morton on 09.02.10 at 8:46 pm

Thanks a lot Gary. He showed up in the white jersey. We didn’t have any options, I am guessing because it was before practice started and gear was still locked away.

posted by John Keatley on 09.02.10 at 8:56 pm

I love your work, and these shots are awesome. I really appreciate the BTS video too. Do you mind if i ask how much time you had for this shoot? i do college sports photos locally and I find that at best, i’ll get 20 minutes to do 30 headshots, 4 group shots and the coaches…i’m trying to sell them on the idea of doing more “marketing” shots, but they never seem to have time.

posted by jeremy mayhew on 09.03.10 at 2:45 am

Great shots man! I really like the over-sized helmet shot! I also really like the song in the video – what is its name? And who is the artist?

Thanks man, keep up the good work!

posted by Chris Bowen on 09.03.10 at 1:01 pm

I enjoyed watching your photo shoot and liked your lighting set up.
Enjoyed the music too. Great job!

posted by Sharon Campagna on 09.07.10 at 7:24 pm

Got this very issue in my hand. Solid work as always John, you make it seem so easy :)

posted by Clint Davis on 09.16.10 at 11:30 pm

Hello John!
Wonderful portraits and BTS :)
I noticed you used feathering in some shots. Besides giving an even light across a face, leaving space for a key light to pop, are there any considerations you make in order to choose to use feathering?

Thanks!