Nov

Plants Vs. Zombies

Posted by John Keatley / Filed under Blog

PopCap Games co-founder John Vechey with Plants Vs. Zombies zombies in Seattle.  Photo by Seattle photographer John Keatley.

Ever played the video game Plants Vs. Zombies?  If so, then these zombies need no introduction.  The man in the middle is John Vechey, co-founder of PopCap Games, one of the most successful casual game companies in the world.  The first game they created is Bejeweled, which has sold more than 50 million copies.  Plants Vs. Zombies is a really addictive game where you grow plants to prevent zombies from reaching your house and eating your brains.  It is surprisingly kid friendly, and one of those games you just have to see to understand.  I won’t say too much about this image because I think it is enjoyed best without explination.

I will say this was my favorite outtake from a recent shoot I did for Inc at the PopCap headquarters.  Nothing like catching a couple of zombies on break at corporate.

Twitter Updates – Follow John’s Twitter feed.
RSS Subscription
– Subscribe to John Keatley Blog via RSS in a reader.
Email Updates – Sign up for email updates.

Comments

How in the world do you get lighting like that? It has this circular gradient that is very pleasing. Just a beauty dish, or..?

posted by Michael Absinthe on 11.09.10 at 10:10 pm

I was wondering the same as Michael. Very cool looking light. I dont think it’s a dish as the shadows are way too soft for that. I’m guessing Octabank high above and right behind camera?

posted by Juha Sompinmäki on 11.10.10 at 4:27 am

Care to explain the lighting?

posted by Tyler Oxendine on 11.10.10 at 8:18 am

Hilarious! Fantastic concept and impeccable execution as always. I’m as perplexed as everyone else as to how you pull off such seemingly subtle yet extraordinarily precise lighting setups. Kudos and please keep it up!

posted by Jeff Ebner on 11.10.10 at 7:56 pm

It’s a great photo, I love to think that they dress like that every day!
My lighting guess would be a big octa high up and on on axis (based on the shadows from the Zombie’s elbows) and a ringflash a stop or two down to fill the shadows (giving the signature shadows on the wall behind the legs) and create the central bright spot.

posted by Luke Avery on 11.11.10 at 2:36 am

saw this in my issue, I loved the opening photo as well…

posted by jimgolden on 11.11.10 at 9:40 pm

Would be interested to know about the lighting, as well. Beautiful work.

posted by Jessyel Ty Gonzalez on 01.20.11 at 8:24 pm

[...] 2011 PDN Faces issue is out, and Plants Vs. Zombies is a winner in the Celebrity/Editorial Portraits category.  My Liberia series also won, under [...]

posted by John Keatley - 2011 PDN Faces on 07.17.11 at 9:01 pm